[Tagging] Mapping of Subway Stations

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Sun Sep 24 08:49:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

I had a task of extracting subway infrastructure from OpenStreetMap, and
I found out that some things cannot be mapped at all (e.g.
interchanges), and some are unclear or mapped differently in different
countries.

Please consider this proposal that clarifies tagging and mapping of
subway stations:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Metro_Mapping

I have already started improving the mapping of several metro systems in
different cities. Mostly that involves adding stop_area and
stop_area_group relations.

Adhering to this document would greatly simplify using subway data from
OpenStreetMap in applications — both for multi-modal routing and for
formatting pretty schemes.

Thanks,
Ilya