[Tagging] Mapping hotels on buildings or areas around buildings

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Sep 29 17:16:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 17:02:37 +0200
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 29. Sep 2017, at 16:50, Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > So if we collectively decide to change `tourism=*` tags to be
> > property outlines (like hospitals and schools),
>

> +1, I’d see it like this for all “functions”, regardless of the key
> (amenity, man_made, tourism, shop, historic, etc.)

It's reasonable to map a hotel as any of

1) A point (the 35th through 40th floors of a skyscraper).

2) A building (a hotel that occupies a full city block, with various
attached amenities such as parking, swimming pool, restaurant inside
the building).

3) An area (a hotel consisting of two disconnected towers, with an
outdoor swimming pool, an associated restaurant in its own building,
surrounded by parking lots).

I've seen all three situations.  (I've also seen their counterparts for
schools.)  A reasonable solution would be to say that your "function"
tags *can be* property outlines rather than buildings, not that they
*are* outlines rather than buildings.

--
Mark