[Tagging] Mapping hotels on buildings or areas around buildings

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Sep 29 17:41:34 UTC 2017

On 29.09.2017 17:18, Bryan Housel wrote:
> AFAIK (from memory) the notable exceptions are schools/universities, hospitals, gas stations, and
> power substations.

There is no reason to treat that as exception, vice versa, if any facility has a campus, the tag
describing the facility belongs on the campus, not just a building.

>> On Sep 29, 2017, at 11:02 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
>>> On 29. Sep 2017, at 16:50, Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com <mailto:bryan at 7thposition.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> So if we collectively decide to change `tourism=*` tags to be property outlines (like hospitals
>>> and schools),
>>
>> +1, I’d see it like this for all “functions”, regardless of the key (amenity, man_made, tourism,
>> shop, historic, etc.)

Yes, in particular I was tagging the campus on hotels, on amenity=community_centre and
amenity=social_facility, for the latter the typical example is the garden around the nursing_home.

On 29.09.2017 17:24, LeTopographeFou wrote:
 > Wiki user Geozeisig has completely changed the sentence "How to map" section. I did not check all
 > revisions nor the reasons/discussions for each changes. I don't like the Geozeisig change on this
point.

Indeed Geozeisig removed the detailed description of campus mapping from the wiki page, and I agree
that was wrong.

On 29.09.2017 19:16, Mark Wagner wrote:
 > It's reasonable to map a hotel as any of
 > 1) A point [...]
 > 2) A building [...]
 > 3) An area [...]

Fully agree.