[Tagging] RFC - Key: spacing=*

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Apr 18 19:23:39 UTC 2018

Hi Peter,

On 18.04.2018 13:53, Peter Elderson wrote:
> I am exploring the possibility of proposing a new key for spacing of
> more or less regularly distributed objects along a way or over an area.

I like the idea. Way back, during the the tree row proposal, it was
suggested that either this key or a "number of trees" key should be
documented, and it makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

What I'm not convinced about is the "nodes" value:

> - I'm thinking of adding a special value to indicate that the exact
> location of the objects is given by the nodes mapped on the way. The
> value could be 0 or 'free'or 'nodes'.

I'm worried that mappers would easily miss the special meaning of these
untagged nodes. They might end up removing "unnecessary" nodes from
straight sections of the tree row, for example. The currently documented
solution (using natural=tree) makes it obvious that the nodes represent
real-world objects.

Apart from that difference, the current convention enables all the same
use cases, such as different rendering for trees that are part of a tree
row. Even the idea of "inheriting" subtags like height or tree species
from the way can be implemented for the current tagging. So I don't see
a strong need to change this aspect of tree rows.

Tobias