[Tagging] RFC - Key: spacing=*

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:24:22 UTC 2018

Hi
I've done my homework and created a wiki proposal page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:spacing%3D*>.

I left out the spacing=nodes part because it causes confusion. The key is
now explicitly meant to be a parameter of a group of objects such as a
tree_row or orchard, not actual positions  of individual objects. or exact
distance between them.
Though I can thnk of other applications, the main purpose is adaptive
rendering, starting with tree_row. For this to work, the default rendering
style on OSM-carto will have to be adapted.
I have bumped the discussion about rendering tree_row on the appropriate
github forum. There is general support for the idea, several options have
been discussed but whosgonnadoit? Now Marc Zoutendijk, a Dutch OSM-mapper,
is looking into it. I am confident that he can go where no-one has gone
before!

I'm looking forward to hearing your contributions, appreciate any help.

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 18. Apr 2018, at 21:23, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> >
> > The currently documented
> > solution (using natural=tree) makes it obvious that the nodes represent
> > real-world objects.
>

> +1, with natural=tree_stump there is even a tag for the gaps (well, unless
> there is literally nothing)
>

> cheers,
> Martin

Vr gr Peter Elderson