[Tagging] tagging cycleable city-models focused on simulating road network

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:20:13 UTC 2018

> I'd prefer something more structured than duck tagging a crowded amenity
> tag, simply because we're likely to
> encounter more types of training as time goes by.  amenity=training +
> training=cycling works for me.

as you can train almost everything, we could make "training" "new"[1] key.

The proposed "training=cycling" already has everything, there is nothing
added with amenity=training. Still, training=cycling is very broad in its
possible meaning, could be a racetrack for people who ride bicycle races on
the street, it could be a place where people that perform tricks with
bicycles (or skateboards, etc.) exercise, it could be a place where
downhill bikers exercise, or one where you bring the kids to learn about
basic traffic rules.

"children traffic safety education" (is a generic function, as it doesn't
state indoor, outdoor, or maybe classrooms)
"children driver training area" (is about a physical place)
"children traffic training centre"

As always there's the question where to use subtags for "small" differences
(e.g. traffic training for bicycles and those for cars, or in golfing
driving range vs. the green), etc. and where it makes more sense to have
"main level" different tags because things are quite different. (e.g. the
driving range is quite different from a putting green, but they share the
same specific field of endaveour, both are golf training places).

"training" comes in all kinds, sauces and context, so a new "training" key
would be one possible way to do it, but it is not how the system of
established tags works (because a lot of training already happens behind
other tags).

Cheers,
Martin

[1] It is already used 1700 times, although there isn't a definition page
yet (AFAIK): https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/training#values