[Tagging] Identifying language regions

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Tue Apr 24 08:11:21 UTC 2018

Ireland has 2 official languges (Irish first & then English), but only
~2% of the population speak Irish daily. There are some legal defined
regions of Ireland which are supposed to be "Irish speaking areas", but
even there Irish is a minority language. So how should that be tagged?
(Some day we'll get around to mapping the Gaeltachtaí)

If you want to know the language in a multi-lingual area, why not look
at the name, and name:XX tags. If the name value is the same as a name:Z
then Z is the language.

Compare https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/52245274

name=Crossmolina
name:en=Crossmolina
name:ga=Crois Mhaoilíona

with https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/52218312

name=Béal an Mhuirthead
name:en=Belmullet
name:ga=Béal an Mhuirthead

This could be done on a street level too.