[Tagging] Identifying language regions

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:29:11 UTC 2018

On 24/04/2018 09:11, Rory McCann wrote:
> Ireland has 2 official languges (Irish first & then English), but only
> ~2% of the population speak Irish daily. There are some legal defined
> regions of Ireland which are supposed to be "Irish speaking areas",
> but even there Irish is a minority language. So how should that be
> tagged? (Some day we'll get around to mapping the Gaeltachtaí)

Ireland's pretty much a "best case" for this as it does have defined
language regions for Irish.  Most places don't.

> If you want to know the language in a multi-lingual area, why not look
> at the name, and name:XX tags. If the name value is the same as a
> name:Z then Z is the language.

That won't always work.  You can probably guess the example I'm going to
pick next - https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/52241235 :)

For those unaware, the story there is summarised at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Daingean#Name .  It's a while since
I've been there; not sure how much of a "cause celebre" it is
currently.  I've certainly heard people on RTE refer to it as "Dingle /
An Daingean" (that's the English name and the commonly used Irish name
but not the official Irish name...).

Best Regards,
Andy