[Tagging] [Documentation] RFC - man_made=pumping_station

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 14:35:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26/04/2018 14:52, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> Although other updates I made at the same time were rendered, the pumping
> station wasn't.
>

> ... on some maps.  It'll appear on others, such as:
>
> https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=20&lat=
> 52.0821841&lon=-4.657313 *
>
> I wouldn't let the fact that one map style has problems with certain kinds
> of infrastructure influence tagging.

Yeah, but I think it sub-optimal to have to point people at a particular
renderer to see something.  I'm a
"Best viewed on any renderer" kind of guy. :)  Even though I think that
your rendering is, overall, better
than the standard one, I doubt you'd want the extra traffic if everyone
used it.

> Generally speaking mappers are pretty good at figuring out when a building
> or a landuse tag is needed in addition to an existing feature tag.

As I did.  By finding a few examples with overpass-turbo after finding that
the wiki didn't cut it, nor did iD's presets.
In general, the easier it is to find the right way to do it, the more
likely it is to be done right.

> Outright " falsehoods to fool the renderer" are actually pretty rare.

I wanted to make it clear I didn't consider either of those approaches to
commit the sin of tagging for the renderer
(even if that's the real reason why they were used).

> Of course by all means try and improve the wiki page for a particular
> feature explaining how people map things (buildings vs non-buildings).
> This probably means I'm agreeing with "4" of your list of 7,

Number 4 was my second choice.

> but TBH anything that improves the wik iand reflects current tagging would
> be good.

I'll wait to see a few more comments before I conclude that it is
considered by most to
be an improvement.

* the fact that it currently appears on that map in English rather than
Welsh is actually a bug, but that's a different issue...

Since I don't speak a word of Welsh, I consider that a feature rather than
a bug. :)

--
Paul