[Tagging] [Documentation] RFC - man_made=pumping_station

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 26 16:14:59 UTC 2018

Le 26. 04. 18 à 15:52, Paul Allen a écrit :
> Yesterday, as I was wandering around surveying things to map, I came
> across a sewage pumping station and mapped it as per
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man%20made=pumping%20station?uselang=en-GB

this page need improvement
all substance value like substance="oil - Oil" are a folkloric advice

> pumping_station=sewage

is pumping_station only a duplicate key for substance ?
it look like useless

> 1) Tag actual buildings housing pump machinery as building=service
> as well as man_made=pumping_station etc.  This approach can be
> found here http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/439149633

if the pump is inside the building, it's of course a good idea to map
the building.
PS : the name look like fake.

> 2) Tag an area, which may be a single building, or a fence around one
> or more buildings (and possibly other stuff) as landuse=industrial.  This
> approach can be found here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/488574374

a pump for a residential area in a street cabinet or in a small building
is imho not an industrial landuse.
it's one urban object in a bigger landuse.
if not, the next step is to add a landuse to all power poles :(
adding a landuse for every object is one of the bigest issue with
landuse (try to make statistics with landuse, it's a mess)

> 7) Other.

I'm not sure that we need to document "map the building if it as a
building" but why not.
I think we should advise each method when it is the most appropriate:-)
a cabinet or a building without a landuse if it's only a cabinet or building
an area with a landuse if it's an area = more than only a building (2 or
more building and/or space around the building also "used" for the station)