[Tagging] Marking shops open on trade-free Sundays?

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:11:53 UTC 2018

Recently a law has been passed on Poland which restricts shops that can be
open on trade-free Sundays (currently 2 per month, in 2020 all).
There is already a few apps (search keyword is "sklepy otwarte w niedzielę"
) which crowdsource shops that are open during such Sundays*. But they are
not based on OSM.

* "The law applies to all stores, except those where the owner is the sole
worker in the store, stores located in train stations, airports, ports, as
well as florists, bakeries (until 13.00), ice cream sellers, sellers of
religious items, ticket sellers, newspaper sellers, post offices, tobacco
sellers."
(Wikipedia)

This is a great opportunity (and the need has been raised) for OSM to
incorporate such data.

How should we map such shops? An extension of opening_hours feels wrong -
many (most?) clients stop on parsing when they encounter something they
don't understand.

It seems for now the best solution would be to invent a tag, but which term
should we use for it to be proper English?

Michał