[Tagging] Golf tag combinations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 13:29:56 UTC 2018

On 02/08/18 23:00, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM, althio <althio.forum at gmail.com
> <mailto:althio.forum at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     For the Old Course at Saint Andrews (ancient and well-known golf
>     course), holes do have names.
>
>     See the Wikipedia page or the website.
>     https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Course_at_St_Andrews#Scorecard
>     <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Course_at_St_Andrews#Scorecard>
>
>     I think tags on OSM should be (it is not the case currently):
>     ref=1
>     name=Burn
>
>     ref=2
>     name=Dyke

I did look, some time ago, at St Andrews on OSM .. I do recall seeing
names, not numbers being displayed but I cannot recall the specifics.
I think there is more than one 'course' at St Andrews... but I could be
wrong.

> Some courses give their holes names as well as numbers.  So ref=2 +
> name=Dyke makes perfect sense.  Some
> courses just use the hole number as its name.  So ref=2 + name=2 makes
> sense to me, because it is useful to
> identify things with labels.  I'd even go so far as to say in that
> situation you could make do with name=2 alone.
>
> We do have the situation where houses can have names or numbers or
> both.  There's not enough room (usually) to
> render both but there is often room to render at least one of them.
> Half the houses where I live have only names.  Some
> have only numbers,  Some have both.  And one has the name "Number
> 39."  Really.  It is number 39, but it also says on
> the front "Number 39" in the same style, font and material as an
> adjacent sign says "The Annexe."

I recently came across someone adding the address as the name,
unfortunately one of the buildings had a real name that I recalled ..
and it was not the address.
So while the address may be displayed outside on the building facade, I
would not take it to be the name of the building without further evidence.
Some are adaptations of the number for example 'One on Macquarie Street".
Older buildings, including houses, have names that predate the house
numbers.