[Tagging] Lane geometry in OSM

Tom Hardy rhardy702 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 21:31:30 UTC 2018

On Friday, 3 August 2018 15:39:09 CDT Lionel Giard wrote:

> You can tag it with :
> lanes=3
> lanes:forward=1
> lanes:backward=2
> turn:lanes:backward=left|through
>
> and split the way where the two arrows are located, and inverse the tagging
> on the other segment (put the lanes:forward=2; lanes:backward=1;
> turn:lanes:forward=left|through).
> As i suppose you should not drive further than the arrow in either
> direction. So you have "two turn lanes" facing each other (that's more or
> less what it looks).

Won't do; at least not in the general case.  https://binged.it/2AGqqTa should
give a Microsoft street view that you can march along and examine; see how
long it is, the periodic repetition of the double arrows, etc.  It's from
another location where I remembered a lengthy center lane.

The lane is used for left turns in both directions, and also to collect cars
making left turns onto the street, as well as for emergency vehicles dealing
with heavy traffic.  And yes, I find them to be a bit dangerous, for the case
where cars heading in opposite rapidly and simultaneously enter the center
lane.

--
Tom Hardy <rhardy702 at gmail.com>