[Tagging] Put the name in sidewalks and cycleways

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:18:05 UTC 2018

Hi Tobias

Yes, sidewalk mapped as ways are problematical for routeing. In order
to not create islands in (residential) areas without marked crossings,
one has to map unmarked crossings. If there are lowered kerbs or if a
sidewalk is just interrupted by a perpendicular street, it seems okay
to map unmarked crossings (see for example [^1]). But in absence of
lowered kerbs and if the sidewalk doesn't continue (for example here
[^2]), mapping an unmarked crossing or connecting the sidewalk with
the road differently just seems arbitrary.

[^1]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/46.95251/7.42688>
[^2]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/568668132>

However, sidewalks tagged as property on the road don't seem to be
unproblematical too, especially at intersections. For example, look at
this crossroads [^3]: how should a router know that a pedestrian has
to cross Engehaldenstrasse here [^4] when guiding her or him along
Schützenmattstrasse? Or how would you map a crossroads with multiple
carriageways (like here [^5]) with sidewalks only tagged as property
on the roads?

[^3]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/46.95335/7.43943>
[^4]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2584729888>

Perhaps, a solution would be to map a sidewalk and the road it belongs
to as areas (area:highway=*). That way, the sidewalk and the road were
connected and the connecting line could even be mapped with a kerb
way.

Regards

Markus