[Tagging] Put the name in sidewalks and cycleways

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 03:59:30 UTC 2018

> This mirrors the associatedStreet approaches taken by different OSM
communities regarding addresses: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:
addr vs https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:associatedStreet. Most
of the same pros/cons apply, though with sidewalks there is a lot more
information we want to know / map than the name, as it's a birectional
question: given a street segment, we want to know about its sidewalk(s),
and given a sidewalk, we want to know about its street. The downside is
that relations are more complex, and can have maintainability issues, but I
think a well-structured tagging standard would lend itself well to
automated QA and tagging tools.

I like the idea of adding the sidewalk to the associatedStreet relation,
perhaps role=sidewalk?