[Tagging] building:flats

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:03:33 UTC 2018

On 5 August 2018 at 19:22, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Terminology does seem to vary around the world with apartment, flat, unit
> all being interchangeable, I see the building:flats tag as the number of
> self-contained residential units (where a unit has it's own front door,
> kitchen, toilet (room) and bathroom).

"Own front door" to the street, or onto the corridor ie one front door
servicing multiple "units"?

Isn't this tag doing the same as rooms: under the hotel tag?

> I wouldn't recommend building:flats=1 on a house, according to the wiki
> house is already "A single dwelling unit usually inhabited by one family."

I agree it shouldn't be on "normal" houses, but what about granny flats?
(which I admit would be almost impossible to map from the street, or an
aerial view) [Translation in case it's only an Australian term? A granny
flat is a self-contained flat, sometimes inside the house, sometimes as a
separate, small, free-standing building in the backyard where "Grandma"


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180806/27af2b67/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list