[Tagging] Flood mark or high water mark

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:58:49 UTC 2018

On 6 August 2018 at 02:48, Robert Szczepanek <robert at szczepanek.pl> wrote:

> W dniu 05.08.2018 o 12:23, Volker Schmidt pisze:
>> Flood marks and high water marks are not necessarily the same thing.
>> Read
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_water_mark
>> to get the gist.
>> There are ordinary high water marks (and I suppose also the opposite,
>> ordinary low water marks) which are based on the regular tides in the area.
>> A flood mark would be a marker for the water level reached in certain,
>> particular events.
>> I am not sure about terminology in different jurisdictions, but the
>> concept seems to be clear to me that there are two different things we want
>> to tag.
> I would like it to be so:
> - flood marks as flood signs,
> - highwater marks as tide signs.
> But even in recent scientific papers this division is not so clear.
> Another issue is that from the beginning, on OSM wiki
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:historic
> mark related to floods is described as
> historic=highwater_mark
> What would be the optimal tagging solution from OSM point of view?
> regards
> Robert

I would think a good start would be changing the wiki to make it
historic=flood_level, leaving any reference to high (or low) water to be a
waterways thing ie the high tide mark.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20180806/3f79f4d5/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list