[Tagging] Flood mark or high water mark

Robert Szczepanek robert at szczepanek.pl
Sun Aug 5 16:48:01 UTC 2018

W dniu 05.08.2018 o 12:23, Volker Schmidt pisze:
> Flood marks and high water marks are not necessarily the same thing.
> Read
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_water_mark
> to get the gist.
> There are ordinary high water marks (and I suppose also the opposite, 
> ordinary low water marks) which are based on the regular tides in the area.
> A flood mark would be a marker for the water level reached in certain, 
> particular events.
> I am not sure about terminology in different jurisdictions, but the 
> concept seems to be clear to me that there are two different things we 
> want to tag.

I would like it to be so:
- flood marks as flood signs,
- highwater marks as tide signs.
But even in recent scientific papers this division is not so clear.

Another issue is that from the beginning, on OSM wiki
mark related to floods is described as

What would be the optimal tagging solution from OSM point of view?


More information about the Tagging mailing list