[Tagging] Put the name in sidewalks and cycleways

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:32:31 UTC 2018

On 05/08/18 19:10, Nick Bolten wrote:
> I've run into this issue as well, many times, and it's like I said:
> the 'name' tag is meant to answer the question 'what is the name of
> this thing?', sidewalks themselves usually don't have names, and the
> street name isn't the name of the sidewalk.

When tagging separate sidewalks that's what I've tended to do, too.
However, it's perhaps worth mentioning that it's pretty easy for
renderers to strip out or not render names if some other tag is set
(such as footway=sidewalk).  See for example
https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L699
.

Best Regards,

Andy