[Tagging] Part/whole confusion with Wikidata tag, and the need for enveloping parts into a whole

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:43:58 UTC 2018

Christoph, you are right that some loosely defined areas like rainforests
may not have exact boundaries. We can find limitations and issues in
defining/naming/linking pretty much anything, e.g. see discussion for
"[Tagging] place nodes for continents". That said, in a large number of
cases, it is beneficial to data consumers to have a 1:1 mapping, e.g. for
examples presented by Peter and Fran├žois.  We do not have to extend that
approach to objects that it won't work well for.

So if it makes sense, it is ok to have a "concept-level" relation that
defines common properties, such as shared wikidata ID, perhaps a relevant
Unesco Heritage ID, a URL, or the hours of operation. It would be a bit
silly to repeat that info on every part of the location.

And for other types of objects, especially the ones without a clear
outline, perhaps it may not make sense to even add wikidata IDs at all.