[Tagging] Part/whole confusion with Wikidata tag, and the need for enveloping parts into a whole

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:37:43 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 8. Aug 2018, at 00:35, Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For this specific case, the railroad stations consumer would probably want a single raiway station, not multiples, so they are easier to analyze, easier to query by matching it up with wikidata, etc.

For railway stations I would agree that it is desirable to have a single station object for a single station (ignoring for a moment double and triple stations and how to link them, e.g. internally connected metro stations on different lines). My answer is a station area for the whole station, but many mappers are categorically refusing this and advocate nodes only (IMHO strange for something as big as a station). An area would solve a lot of issues.

I am not against making our data easier to consume for others, but the priority should be making life easiest for mappers.

> Railroad station can have multiple parts, but so do many other things, and we tend to put common things in a relation for them. Why would you want railroad stations tagged differently, and duplicate the same wikidata tag on every part of it?

it really depends how wikidata has the individual station represented, is it one or several objects? Do they have a collector object for the parts, etc.?
It’s not as if all stations are codified the same in wikidata, or are they? Has wikidata already found a stable structure how they represent railway stations or will it maybe change continuously?
Even if everything (wikidata <-> OSM) would be consistent today, tomorrow it would either be inconsistent or outdated ;-)

I agree there is room for improvement on all sides, but it cannot be answered once for all.

Cheers,
Martin