[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:23:42 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 10. Aug 2018, at 15:29, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) It is said to be standard practice to render what is observable on the ground.

everybody can render what she deems most useful, there is not an absolute rule to render what is on the ground (e.g. if there is a typo on a sign, you must not put that into ‘name’ if you know and have confirmed it is a typo. It could be useful to map the signed name as well, but I wouldn’t use the key “name” for it, as that is for the name)

> I don't need to know which languages are spoken in this region, or what language(s) the sign is in, that is what the
> sign SAYS and that is what should be mapped (in my opinion).

thing is, you might want to know in which language the sign is, and there is currently no way to find out from our data. If you don’t want to know, you are already served ;-)

Cheers,
Martin