[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 16:24:31 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> > On 10. Aug 2018, at 15:29, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 1) It is said to be standard practice to render what is observable on
> the ground.
>

> everybody can render what she deems most useful, there is not an absolute
> rule to render what is on the ground (e.g. if there is a typo on a sign,
> you must not put that into ‘name’ if you know and have confirmed it is a
> typo. It could be useful to map the signed name as well, but I wouldn’t use
> the key “name” for it, as that is for the name)

You appear to be saying that the name of the street (as on the sign) is not
the name of the street (as in the name=*
tag applying to the street).  This appears to be a post-modernist
interpretation of "name."

What else would the name=* tag, when applied to a way, be the name of?
What is the wording on the street sign
except the name of the street?

> > I don't need to know which languages are spoken in this region, or what
> language(s) the sign is in, that is what the
> > sign SAYS and that is what should be mapped (in my opinion).
>
> thing is, you might want to know in which language the sign is, and there
> is currently no way to find out from our data. If you don’t want to know,
> you are already served ;-)

A mapper who doesn't speak English or Welsh (but is familiar with the Roman
alphabet) could, nonetheless,
put the words "Heol Napier Napier Street" into the name=* tag for the way.
This is a straightforward mapping (both
senses of the word) and matches observable reality.  Yes, it would be nice
if they also added "name:cy=Heol Napier"
and "name:en=Napier Street" but that can come later, if at all.  Adding the
language tagging is of *secondary*
importance, a refinement which is nice but not essential.

Yes, the situation is somewhat different when the street has a name but
there is no signage and different arguments can
be made.  And things get really complicated when there is an official name,
a local name, but no signage.   But when
there is a street sign name=* should be used for what is on the sign
because anything else is perverse.

--
Paul