[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:06:20 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 10. Aug 2018, at 18:24, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You appear to be saying that the name of the street (as on the sign) is not the name of the street (as in the name=*
> tag applying to the street).  This appears to be a post-modernist interpretation of "name."
>
> What else would the name=* tag, when applied to a way, be the name of?  What is the wording on the street sign
> except the name of the street?

I am saying that street signs are just indications of names. Names for streets are usually (at least in Italy and Germany) assigned by the city council, it is an act of legislation assigning a name (again , at least in these countries). The signs might be ok, but for example in Italy we are used to having often shorter names signed with respect to the actual name. Errors in street signs are also not unheard of. Signs are an important part of reality, but they are not the absolute truth and they are not the only way to verify a name (e.g. ask locals, look in the city archive, etc.)

Cheers,
Martin