[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:28:57 UTC 2018

If the sign shows one string, name=<string> should always be right.
If you know the string contains two language variants and a separator, sep string, brackets or whatever, you can interpret the string and extract name:xx substrings. I would still keep the name=<string> tag, to serve both rendering and other data usage.

If the sign shows two strings one line each, you will need interpretation and/or a glue character or glue string. Because it’s not always two language variants. We have lots of signs giving the name, and on the second line somethingh else like the name of the city quarter, a year or years for birth and death of the person the street is named after, or the function or title of the person that (s)he is remembered for.
I have even seen three line street name signs.

When it comes to glueing strings (which in the OP’s case equals separating variants) , I strongly prefer / to - because - is extremely common in names and / is not.

Mvg Peter Elderson