[Tagging] Slash, space, or spaced hyphen in multi-lingual names

marc marc marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:41:18 UTC 2018

Le 10. 08. 18 à 19:28, Peter Elderson a écrit :
> If the sign shows two strings one line each, you will need
> interpretation and/or a glue character or glue string.

in fact, what's the better glue character IS the question
at the begging of this thread.

Currently, a Brussels resident reading a sign with 2 lines in Biel is
unable to fill in the name field without making a mistake or without
first having to search the wiki to find the local convention, at least
if this mapper has guessed that he is in a bilingual area (which is not
always obvious when one is not able to recognize that the second line is
the same as the first line in another language).
On the other hand, an inhabitant of Biel is unable to map a street
in Brussels without making a mistake, for the same reason.

In the same way as in osm we defined ";" as being the separator between
several values of the same key (with several exceptions), it would be
useful to define a separator between several lines of the same key.
Afterwards, it will be up to the different local communities to see
the interest or not, to use it.
but it would allow for example a contributor who adds a street to
Brussels in iD or Josm to have assistance from the application to tell
him how to encode this and make the possible link with the different
corresponding name:xx

or to take a less personal example, what would be the ideal way to do
things in a bilingual city where nothing has yet been done ? does this
community need a 5th glue character different from the 4 others ?
or is there a way to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of the
4 existing separators without falling into a sterile debate such as
"I don't live in a bilingual zone so bilingual zones must have to do
like me and have a one-only value in name"?

Regards,
Marc