[Tagging] Fwd: Missing access value (access=license / authorization?)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 18:40:57 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 'access=no' standing alone (not 'transport_mode=no', not 'access=no
> transport_mode=something') is still pretty nonsensical - what is the
> point of mapping a way that's impassable to everything? When is a way
> not a way? It does indeed make sense when some transport mode has an
> answer other than 'no'.

I think you've just answered your own question.  As I understand it,
access=* specifies an overall default with
exceptions being carved out with, for example, bus=yes meaning nothing but
buses may pass.  Which seems to be
what
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Transport_mode_restrictions
is saying.  Therefore access=no
only makes sense with other tags that carve out exceptions, but it does
have a legitimate use.

--
Paul