[Tagging] addr:street=* combined with place=square, name=*

Johannes Singler johannes at singler.name
Tue Aug 14 15:27:06 UTC 2018

Hi

I understand that it is useful to use addr:place for neighborhoods,
hamlets, and isolated dwellings etc.  But here, it is a quite regular
street address, just that the referenced feature is not a highway, but a
square (we could limit it to place=square).  So why should this be ruled
out categorically?  It does not read addr:highway, does it?

I think OSM Inspector should check that there is *some* entity close by
that matches the street name, to avoid spelling mistakes etc.  In
another case, the street name actually references a park, e.g here
<http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=addresses&lon=7.61170&lat=47.55898&zoom=18&overlays=street_not_found>
So should I reference that with addr:park?  Or map the park as a place,
or as a highway?  Rather not, eh?

So I propose to be more flexible here.  Too many "false positives" in
the QA tools are frustrating to the users, and shadow the real mistakes.

Regards
Johannes