[Tagging] How to tag small canals?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:14:12 UTC 2018

There are thousands of kilometers of irrigation waterways scattered around
Thailand. Many but not all of these are concrete lined and may be from 1 to
5 meters across.  The Thai word used in names for the larger ones is "klong",
which means "canal" in English.

The tagging practice of mappers working in Thailand has been to use
waterway=canal, sometimes with boat=no, and sometimes with
service=irrigation. I started using the service=irrigation tag a couple of
years ago when I discovered it in the Wiki somewhere. I also noticed today
that there is a "usage=irrigation" that applies to waterway=canal. It's all
a bit confusing.

Regards,

Dave

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:01 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
> > On 16. Aug 2018, at 16:14, Christoph Hormann <osm at imagico.de> wrote:
> >
> > All of this together has its origin in the fact that in the UK and other
> > early OSM countries large artificial waterways are almost always for
> > navigation and small artificial waterways are almost always for
> > transporting away undesirable water.
>

> +1
> That’s my analysis as well. What do you think, shouldn’t we fix the wiki
> to make it more universally applicable to all kinds of waterways? Or would
> you suggest we invent new waterway types based on different functional
> purposes to fill the gaps that current definitions leave behind?
> Do we really need construction details as parts of basic artificial
> waterway definitions?
>

> Cheers,
> Martin

Dave Swarthout