[Tagging] How to tag small canals?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Thu Aug 16 16:28:55 UTC 2018

On Thursday 16 August 2018, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> I started using the service=irrigation tag a
> couple of years ago when I discovered it in the Wiki somewhere. I
> also noticed today that there is a "usage=irrigation" that applies to
> waterway=canal. It's all a bit confusing.

Yes, it is.  usage=* is the better documented variant for waterway=canal
while service=* is more widely used.  In documented values service=* is
more focussed on the overall function of the canal as a whole while
usage=* is more about the technical design and function of the
particular part of the waterway.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/