[Tagging] areas of risk

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Aug 18 04:22:46 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018, 16:17 Adam Franco <adamfranco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another "risk" case would be an area where a civil war or conflict has
> divided who controls what land. Either side of the line of control may be
> incredibly risky for people affiliated with the other side but not to the
> supporters of those in control.

At least this is objectively reportable and we have tagging for this as a
result:  Disputed territory is mapped as part of each party state as well
as disputed=yes on the lines actually under dispute as a basic minimum.
Though this doesn't tell you if the dispute is, say, a low-simmering
situation on the level of party states playing professional capture the
flag (Denmark by way of Greenland vs Canada on Hans Island in the Kennedy
Strait) or a multilateral bloody humanitarian crisis like Kashmir.