[Tagging] consensus needed: officially a town but visibly distinct settlements?

José G Moya Y. josemoya at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 14:10:15 UTC 2018

Plwase take into notice that, in some countries, the difference between
suburb, hamlet, town or village is not only based on population but in
political issues, such as self-government, also.

When I see my hometown is defined as "aldea" (hamlet) in wikidata I always
got angry, because, being statistically a hamlet (~200 people), it *is*
politically a *village* (it elects its own town major and has its own self
government and budget).

There are many such villages in Spain, (specially in the "Spanish Finland",
the demographic desert between Soria and Teruel) and that is a point of
conflict with many EU directives that request villages provide services a
such small villages can't afford.