[Tagging] consensus needed: officially a town but visibly distinct settlements?

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 14:37:28 UTC 2018

On Saturday 18 August 2018 22:10:15 HKT José G Moya Y. wrote:
> Plwase take into notice that, in some countries, the difference between
> suburb, hamlet, town or village is not only based on population but in
> political issues, such as self-government, also.
>
> When I see my hometown is defined as "aldea" (hamlet) in wikidata I always
> got angry, because, being statistically a hamlet (~200 people), it *is*
> politically a *village* (it elects its own town major and has its own self
> government and budget).
>
> There are many such villages in Spain, (specially in the "Spanish Finland",
> the demographic desert between Soria and Teruel) and that is a point of
> conflict with many EU directives that request villages provide services a
> such small villages can't afford.

But does it look like a village from an untrained eye? i.e. what services does
it provide? If it really provides services that a village provide than it is
really a village.

If I am doing the mapping, if the settlement is small (less than 200 people)
AND does not provide services where a village should provide, I will mark it
as a hamlet despite every official designation.

--
Sent from KMail