[Tagging] consensus needed: officially a town but visibly distinct settlements?

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 03:33:53 UTC 2018

On Sunday 19 August 2018 10:07:46 HKT Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On 19 August 2018 at 04:59, Yves <yvecai at mailbox.org> wrote:
> > Who cares if the presence of a post office is the criterum to be a
> > 'village' for a 200 people place if it's the only inhabited place 100km
> > around?
>
> This is a problem we encounter frequently in Australia. The "settlement"
> may consist only of a service station or a pub, plus 1 - 2 houses, so it
> "should" be an OSM hamlet, but it is also the main attraction / centre of
> life (& sometimes the only buildings!) for 300 klm in any direction.
>
> Do you mark it as a hamlet, which will only render at extreme zoom, or mark
> it as a village / town, as it is a vital source of supplies / fuel /
> contact?

If, from a site visit, residents nearby come here for shopping food, etc.
(vital economic activity) I would mark it as village, otherwise hamlet. I
would also compare to nearby places to see if there are service stations and
pubs in settlements of similar populations, to determine what kind of services
are expected in village/hamlet there.

Michael

--
Sent from KMail