[Tagging] consensus needed: officially a town but visibly distinct settlements?

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 02:07:46 UTC 2018

I am most certainly not a local!, but going by
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curonian_Spit, it certainly doesn't appear to
be one "settlement"?

On 19 August 2018 at 04:59, Yves <yvecai at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Who cares if the presence of a post office is the criterum to be a
> 'village' for a 200 people place if it's the only inhabited place 100km
> around?

This is a problem we encounter frequently in Australia. The "settlement"
may consist only of a service station or a pub, plus 1 - 2 houses, so it
"should" be an OSM hamlet, but it is also the main attraction / centre of
life (& sometimes the only buildings!) for 300 klm in any direction.

Do you mark it as a hamlet, which will only render at extreme zoom, or mark
it as a village / town, as it is a vital source of supplies / fuel /
contact?

Thanks

Graeme.