[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 107, Issue 111

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 19:59:59 UTC 2018

Hi Nick,

That solution is similar to the one I chose - a separate lane off to the
side of a 2-lane highway. I can't imagine, however, whether any renderer or
routing end-user will be able to understand that it is a passing lane or
slow-vehicle turnout based on the use of the agricultural=yes tag. It looks
exactly like the parent way. How does a router (or person) decide it's
actually a place to pass slow-moving vehicles?

I would really rather expand the use of the passing_place tag to allow
ways. Then tagging a situation like mine becomes simple and easy to draw
while still providing essential information. It is a separate lane, oneway
in the direction of traffic flow, and is located off to one side of
the highway proper.

The current use of passing_place as a node doesn't seem very robust to me.
A related tag, passing_places=yes (no), is applied to a highway that has
frequent slow-vehicle lanes scattered along its distance. This tag too
isn't very specific and IMO, not very useful either.

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska