[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 107, Issue 111

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 00:38:17 UTC 2018

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 05:32, St Niklaas <St.Niklaas at live.nl> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>

> Have a look at this solution, made just to allow other / faster traffic to
> pass a slow agricultural vehicle, more specific it is a rule that goes for
> all slow moving traffic not reaching a speed of 25 km/hr.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/51.24743/5.97305
> The first traffic sign tells you to go straight ahead, but the second one
> selects the slower traffic out of the main stream into a short stay.
>
> Greetz
>

> Hendrikklaas

Hi Hendrik

Not bad, but shouldn't the passing lane be marked as one way=yes? I assume
this lane is only to service one side of the road?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 06:01, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> That solution is similar to the one I chose - a separate lane off to the
> side of a 2-lane highway. I can't imagine, however, whether any renderer or
> routing end-user will be able to understand that it is a passing lane or
> slow-vehicle turnout based on the use of the agricultural=yes tag. It looks
> exactly like the parent way. How does a router (or person) decide it's
> actually a place to pass slow-moving vehicles?

slow_vehicle=yes ?

> I would really rather expand the use of the passing_place tag to allow
> ways. Then tagging a situation like mine becomes simple and easy to draw
> while still providing essential information. It is a separate lane, oneway
> in the direction of traffic flow, and is located off to one side of
> the highway proper.

But our's aren't separated from from the main road - I assume your's &
Hendrik's are the same - the road just widens with an extra lane along this
length?

The current use of passing_place as a node doesn't seem very robust to me.
> A related tag, passing_places=yes (no), is applied to a highway that has
> frequent slow-vehicle lanes scattered along its distance. This tag too
> isn't very specific and IMO, not very useful either.

No, I agree that the node doesn't work. May be OK as Warin mentioned, where
there is a short (length) stopping place but no for a full lane

Thanks

Graeme