[Tagging] horse mounting/dismounting steps

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Aug 28 10:39:28 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-08-28 at 12:17 +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > My vote would be for amenity rather than man_made.  Amenities are
> > something people (whether general
> > public, or customers, or members) use.  Man_made is usually for
> > objects that are used mainly by employees.
>

> I'm not decided, but want to bring the following point to
> consideration: Amenities are usually something for (a significant
> part of) society in general. Yes, schools are only for those who have
> children, hospitals only for those who are ill (potentially everyone
> though), and post offices only for who still sends paper mail or
> parcels.
Post offices are far more important than just sending mail.

> Still, these are significant parts (in number) of the population.
> Opposed to this, horse riding is a small fraction of society, and in
> rapid decline as well. These are numbers for the UK (numbers might be
> tainted, as they are from the horse riding industry):
> "The overall number of those who ride has fallen, from 3.5 million in
> 2011 to 2.7 million in 2015. There has been a decline in regular
> riders, from 1.6 million in 2011 to 1.3 million in 2015." [1] This
> equals to just 2-4% of the British population, for the overwhelming
> majority, these blocks are useless.
> [1] http://www.beta-uk.org/pages/industry-information/market-informat
> ion.php

Horse riding has long ceased to be a method of transport, but is a
popular leisure activity. Whilst it is common to see horses out on the
road, its quite rare to see them outside the local shops.

I am not sure that these blocks are of any use in modern horse riding,
I have never seen them used but are historic features that date back to
a time when they were transport and used to get to the pub, shops or
market.

I would use the historic tag so that they fit in with other preserved
features.

Phil (trigpoint)