[Tagging] horse mounting/dismounting steps

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 11:00:19 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
wrote:

> Horse riding has long ceased to be a method of transport, but is a popular
> leisure activity. Whilst it is common to see horses out on the road, its
> quite rare to see them outside the local shops.

Whether a popular mode of transport or now only for leisure, either way
qualifies as amenity.

I am not sure that these blocks are of any use in modern horse riding, I
> have never seen them used but are historic features that date back to a
> time when they were transport and used to get to the pub, shops or market.

https://www.google.com/search?q=horse+mounting+steps shows a lot of modern
sellers of these things.  I would
expect riding schools and at least some stables to have mounting blocks.

I would use the historic tag so that they fit in with other preserved
> features.
>
> That would seem to me to be misusing the historic tag UNLESS these were a
genuinely historic feature.  Say
a listed building (which applies to things like walls, fountains and
sundials as well as houses and barns).  Or
if they were commemorating some historic person.  The historic tag doesn't
equate to "old" and definitely doesn't
equate to "old-fashioned" or "rarity."  The historic tag is mainly used by
the gk.historic.place map and I think a
modern mounting block bought from Amazon last month definitely doesn't
qualify for inclusion there.

--
Paul