[Tagging] horse mounting/dismounting steps

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:33:03 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 9:55 AM Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> They are not beside bridleways, they are typically part of the front structure of buildings of an age that means they are automatically grade II listed buildings. Standalone ones are also of an age that they will be protected. They are invariably within conservation areas.
>
> I would maintain they are historic features of interest and not a part of modern horse riding.

Consider also the scene at
https://orthos.dhses.ny.gov/?Extent=-8263474.452075749,5187562.211271851,-8262985.673109871,5187771.815935289&Layers=2017_cache,2016_cache,2015_cache,2014_cache,2013_cache

The most obvious man-made objects in that clearing are a cabin (home
to the fire warden back when the place was staffed - it was
decommissioned in the 1970s), a lookout tower, a picnic table, an
outhouse, and, to the northeast, a mounting platform. People with
mobility impairments who are at least able to stand and pivot can use
the platform to mount a horse from a wheelchair (which can then be
loaded aboard a pack animal). This is part of a state program for
wilderness access for persons with disabilities.

I haven't tried to map the platforms. It's been a few years since I
was up to the summit of Hunter Mountain. The tower has terrific views,
but the trails tend to be crowded (well, by the standards of trails in
a wilderness area :)) in fair weather.

These must be some species of the genus that we're discussing.