[Tagging] Properties of swimming pools

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:42:53 UTC 2018

On 30/08/18 22:17, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>

>     Temperature, I am afraid, is mine.
>     https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Temperature
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Temperature>
>

> It seemed reasonably well thought out and written. Shame it failed.
> It seems it might
> have been approved had you said the degree symbol was optional.
> People could use it
> if they wished but people could omit it.  Parsers in renderers could
> cope with people using
> symbols of similar appearance by simply ignoring anything that isn't a
> digit, a decimal point
> and C or F, incidentally handling the degree symbol being optional.
> In fact your table of incorrect
> usage shows the degree symbol on the corrected usages, so it appears
> even you consider it
> optional.
>
> The only thing I have a problem with is referring subjective
> temperatures to ambient.  For me, subjective
> temperatures are referred to body temperature.  Is it warmer or colder
> than me?  Especially when dealing
> with water I am going to immerse body parts in.  It makes even less
> sense to consider ambient temperature
> when dealing with extreme ambient conditions.  An open-air swimming
> pool in the middle of winter might be
> warmer than ambient by several degrees in the late afternoon when the
> air is cooling down but the thermal
> inertia of the water keeps it warm, but it's still damned cold.  So
> I'd refer subjective temps to body temp
> and add "ambient" as an objective value.  Which makes tap water (in
> most parts of the world) cold whether
> it's colder or warmer than ambient, because it's colder than me (which
> is why it feels cold).

Your bodies reaction depends on what it is acclimatised to.
If you live in a hot climate, such as Darwin Australia, you put a jumper
on at 25 C because it is cold.
If you live in a colder climate, such as Hobart Australia, you go
swimming at 25 Cbecause it is warm/hot.
Both peoples are fit and healthy yet they perceive the same temperature
as different things.

.. Yes I have been to both places ... and have some experience with them.
On immediately arriving in a hot humid place I sought shelter in an
air-conditioned shopping mall, my aunt having spent quite some time in
this climate began to shake with the cold.
I found it nice. But a week later it was cool .. not to the extent that
I would start to shake, but cool.
The body adapts, given time it will find things 'normal' that you would
now find uncomfortable.

> Can proposals be resurrected?  Or a new proposal started which is very
> similar but
> with changes that might improve its chances of approval?  In any case,
> I'd use the tag if I needed to
> specify a temperature on something.

Go for it.
It will probably pass without the subjective temperatures.
Subversive mappers can then place subjective values in there ... and
those values will probably be interpreted differently by different
people. Such is the world.