[Tagging] Tagging suggestions for electricity

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:05:06 UTC 2018

On 31/08/18 14:47, Dolly Andriatsiferana wrote:

>     I think this would be hard to maintain, and highly redundant since
>     voltage won't change for a given city or even country.
>     Think about standards names to fill utilities:electricity.
>     Each standard comes with frequency, voltage, rating...
>

> Yes, I agree that in most cases voltage doesn't change much for a
> given city. But something that will change frequently is the source
> (here in Madagascar mostly from a distribution company, a generator,
> or individual solar panels).
> And maybe another good idea is to omit those voltage and possibly
> redundant details, and put sources directly as values on the main tag
> (like how most of the few existing electricity=* tags seem to be
> used). So we would have something like:
>
>   * utility:electricity=yes - there is electricity feeding the
>     building but the source is not defined
>   * utility:electricity=no - there is no electricity source at all
>   * utility:electricity=generator/company/solar/windmill... - there is
>     electricity and the source is known

In Australia there is a backbone grid. My electricity could come from a
coal filed power station, a wind mill, a solar power plant, a battery, a
hydro electric plant, a gas fired power plant ... and they are all
connected together so I might get a mixture.

In short .. where the power comes from is not able to be mapped in most
instances here.