[Tagging] non-physical / why do we discourage leisure=skatepark/skate_park?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Aug 31 13:36:54 UTC 2018

On 31.08.2018 14:33, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:08 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>
>     What are "non-physical" & "physical" tags?
>
> My interpretation of the wiki is based upon my classification of things.  My brain is a physical
> object, my thoughts
> are not.  A grass field with lines marked on it and intended to play sports on is a physical thing
> we call a "pitch"
> whereas a game of football is not a physical thing.  So "pitch" is physical and "sport" is not.

While I agree with that, I do not see a need that sport=* is always attached to a physical object.
In particular sports that are performed in a natural environment often have no sharp geographical
limitations.

Examples are areas in a lake for sport=swimming, or areas with rocks where you can sport=climbing.
Unless there is a physical barrier, like a floating line in the lake, you are not limited how far
you want to swim, but you would not use the whole lake. Similarly, a geolocation is known for good
climbing spots, however you don't want to tag each boulder, or they are hard to map cause GNSS is
poor under the trees and the rocks are not visible from aerials for the same reason.

Thus the location is surrounded by the physical object, but the tag is on a separate node, such as a
shop in a larger building.

tom