[Tagging] Suggestion: ref:mobile_payment for amenity=parking

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 11:15:17 UTC 2018

You have the choice to disagree with micromapping and ignore it. Many such
decisions are made on a local level, for example when executing mapping
parties.

We help define such keys in a consistent manner so *others* may map such
micro features. We are not encouraging others to do micromapping either,
but if they do, they will at least not sprinkle the database with random,
inconsistent keys. Though certain imports provide such information as well,
making mapping effort a non-issue.

Based on such precisely defined keys, you have all means to filter the
database when you load them onto your devices or your services, so it
should not cause harm to data consumers either.

Also note that one's trash is another's treasure. While neither you nor I
would map railroad ties, some would consider localizing balise useful, and
with a proper reader (or an import) it is just a matter of going along the
track (or even riding the train).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balise

If you are orienteering or simply lost, reference numbers on balise, power
poles or other man made objects could come in handy for those without
electronics and having only a printed OpenStreetMap.

A more realistic example is that to you, wifi or power supplies may not be
important, but if one doesn't have mobile Internet subscription and a large
powerback or if the given provider in the given village has appalling
coverage, it can come useful to know which pub to favor when on a long trip
(or during a mapping party). Same goes for marking pub sports - you may not
be playing these, but not everyone attends pubs for the sole purpose of
getting wasted.

I don't like to judge the needs of others, as I may not know all local
circumstances, and anyway - who am I to judge? If something can in general
be considered important for a large class of people, I usually map it
regardless whether I need it or whether I endorse the practice.

Going back to the question of parking, it has occurred to me a lot that
drivers asked where they can found the nearest meter. In many cases, they
could have purchased their tickets via SMS, but they didn't know the code
and couldn't find the meter to find such tiny piece of information. If even
a single minute is wasted per driver for finding a meter and walking up to
it just for reading the code, we're wasting a large amount of GDP for
something where we could offer a better solution with ease. Again, this
doesn't bother me much as I'm usually parking for free, but I map such
things for solidarity.

Take care and be nice to others,