[Tagging] leisure=recreation_ground discouraged?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 5 12:24:05 UTC 2018

Hi

It appears there's an attempt to discourage/deprecate
leisure=recreation_ground.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Drecreation_ground
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Drecreation_ground

I've done a history search of this forum & can find no discussions on
this topic. Can someone point me to it if it was discussed elsewhere* If
not, what is the reason for it? (Being more popular doesn't always make
it a better choice).

To me, leisure=recreation_ground logically fits better with other
leisure tags such as pitch, playground, park, sports_centre etc.

* Coherently. By that I exclude the wiki talk pages which, after just a
dozen posts, descends into unformatted insults.

Cheers
DaveF