[Tagging] Can OSM become a geospacial database?

Eugene Podshivalov yaugenka at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:11:29 UTC 2018

> чт, 6 дек. 2018 г. в 19:30, Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>:
> If it's neither a component of the name of the place nor a formal
> designation of a political boundary, can you explain more why it's
> important? Is it immediately obvious in the field that one thing is a
> 'gorod' and another is a 'gorodskoy posyolok,' while a third is a
> 'perevnya?' If so, what is the difference? What's the problem we're trying
> to solve?

They cannot be put into name tag because they are not part of the proper
name. It would be like renaming "Paris" into "Paris city".
Neither the admin boundary scheme can help here because one settlements of
different local category can belong to one and the same admin level.
Here are a couple of cases when the knowlege of these local categories is
needed.
* They are used in address strings
* They are sumtimes displayed in maps to resolve ambiguousness (when two
neighbourhood settlement have one and the same name and differ only in
category name).
* There is a common practice in Belarus to draw residential area of
different settlemnet types in different color.