[Tagging] How to tag shared waterway highway

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:05:29 UTC 2018

On 08/12/18 21:31, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I would recommend drawing a separate “way” for the highway. I imagine
> that the route taken by vehicles or people walking is a few meters off
> of the center of the waterway, and perhaps a little straighter. If you
> are coarsest tracing the waterway and road, then the two ways might
> share most of their nodes.

I don't think you have used them. The ones I have used:
The waterway will vary from one flow to the next by some meters - they
are sand bottoms. The rivers when flowing are 10s of metres wide.
Some flood in flatter areas.
The road/track will change after a rain event by meters to make best use
of the changed topography.
The are mostly sandy bottoms - meters wide. Take a look at the Todd River in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ephemeral#Examples

The way shown in OSM (or any map) is a guide.
I would not take the trouble to offset one from the other, if it were
done then it is bound to be on the wrong side :)