[Tagging] emergency=control_centre

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Dec 9 15:38:35 UTC 2018

> On Dec 9, 2018, at 7:11 AM, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Dec 9, 2018 at 3:06 PM dktue <email at daniel-korn.de <mailto:email at daniel-korn.de>> wrote:
>
> I would like to propose a tag for emergency control centers (the place
> you reach when you call 112 in Europe).
>
> Why?
>
> As far as I know, these are places one contacts via telephone.  They may be located far from
> the locality they serve, even though calls from that locality may be routed to one particular
> control centre.  Are the ones you are familiar with of a kind where one must walk in to report
> an emergency?  Unless they are, it serves no purpose to mark them on a map.  Unless, perhaps,
> one is a terrorist intent upon damaging infrastructure.
>
> --
> Paul

In North America they are called PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point). [1]

But I agree that there does not seem to be a driving reason to map them as the physical location is not relevant for their use.

And I don’t believe that they are a “control center”. More of a communication center. If it is a “normal” emergency, the police/fire/medical will have their own operations center, probably separate from the “answering point” that oversees the personnel dispatched, etc. If it becomes a big incident, then there will be a “Incident Command Post” (ICP) setup to handle the situation and the ICP will vary from incident to incident and could be anywhere.

Cheers!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_safety_answering_point