[Tagging] Printing company for newspapers

Sergio Manzi smz at smz.it
Fri Dec 14 13:16:43 UTC 2018

Hello,

I would abstain from shop=* as a shop is a place where products can be bought: "/Use shop=* to mark the location of a shop and the products that it *sells*./" [1].

I would also abstain from craft=* as it applies to "/small production of goods *on demand and by order*/"  [2]

The places where newspapers are printed are called either "printing press" or "printing works", so I'd go for something with either "?=printing_press" or "?=printing_works".

As for the key to use, depending on the size of the machines involved, the number of copies printed, the amount of paper used on a daily basis, and the number of workers involved, the place could go from a small office (office=*) to a large industrial building (industrial=*). You know, you decide! :-)

Solutions using man_made=works leave me lukewarm, as you'll have to specify the kind of work performed, and (/unhapply, IMHO/) that should be done through the product=* key, but on one hand something like product=printing_press could mean the place where printing presses are actually manufactured and on the other product=newspaper could mean the (/possibly industrial-size/) place wher journalists work to compose the newspaper. It would had been easier if for a finer description of man_made=works we had used an activity=* keyword instead of product=*, but "man_made=works + product=printing_works" can probably be OK too...

Cheers,

Sergio

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shop
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:craft