[Tagging] Printing company for newspapers

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:23:26 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 12:11 PM Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> I'd say it depends on the size. A small printer that focuses on business
> cards, letterheads,
> congratulation cards, I'd tag as craft.

A small printer of the sort you describe would usually be described as a
jobbing printer.  I wouldn't
think of a jobbing printer as "craft" in ordinary English usage, although
that's where OSM often
puts similar trades such as joinery.  In ordinary English, calligraphy and
sculpting would be
crafts whereas printing and joinery would be trades.

Even so, the primary distinction between a jobbing printer and a
newspaper/book printer is not
the equipment used or the size of the operation but the type of output.
That said, jobbing printers
tend to be smaller than newspaper/book printers and the older/smaller
jobbing printers tend to use letterpress rather than offset litho.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20181214/617a62cc/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list